Ad astra per aspera, meaning "to the stars through difficulty," is not only the Kansas motto, it's the way of life for our state's farmers and ranchers. Through uncertainty, disaster and difficult years, farmers and ranchers adapt and find a way to survive. The 2018 YF&R Leaders Conference provided tools, resources, information and encouragement for those building a foundation for their operation and the many who are considering a career in agriculture. Review conference highlights and takeaways below and mark your calendars for the 2019 YF&R Leaders Conference next year on January 25-27 in Manhattan.
Kevin is a leading expert in Agricultural marketing and analysis, he also produces an award-winning and world-recognized daily industry Ag wire called "The Van Trump Report." With over 20 years of experience trading professionally at the CME, CBOT and KCBOT, Kevin is able to 'connect-the-dots' and simplify the complex moving parts associated with today's markets in a thought-provoking yet easy to read format.
With thousands of daily readers in over 40 countries, Kevin has become a sought after source for market direction, timing and macro views associated with the agricultural world. Kevin is a top featured guest on many farm radio programs and business news channels here in the United States. He also speaks internationally to hedge fund managers and industry leading agricultural executives about current market conditions and "black swan" forecasting. Kevin is currently the acting Chairman of Farm Direction, an international organization assembled to bring the finest and most current agricultural thoughts and strategies directly to the world's top producers. The markets have dramatically changed and Kevin is trying to redefine how those in the agricultural world can better manage their risk and better understand the adversity that lies ahead.
Kelly Barnes was born and raised on a small family farm in eastern Oklahoma, and his message is centered around the stories, life lessons and virtues he learned growing up.
Kelly has spoken to more than 1,000,000 students, teachers and business leaders all across the U.S. His message is entertaining, inspiring and most importantly… SIMPLE. As one client put it; “Kelly is the best speaker we have had in 23 years we have had this conference. His has the rare ability to weave important life lessons through personal stories that will take you on a roller coaster of emotions. He is a great storyteller. One that will make you laugh, make you think and above all, help you create great moments in your personal and professional life.”
Kelly is an accomplished leader, entrepreneur, business coach and inspirational speaker who is equipped with the life lessons and experiences that truly develop the leader within those around him.
Kelly’s ability to relate to his audience comes from his years serving as an elected leader and entrepreneur. Kelly served the Oklahoma FFA association as the 2002-03 State Vice-President and the 2003-04 State President. In 2005 he was elected to serve as the Vice-President of the Oklahoma State University Student Government Association where he received his degree in Leadeship.
When he is not speaking, Kelly enjoys running marathons, watching baseball, reading and most of all spending time with his beautiful daughter, Bowen.
2018 Workshops Included:
- Using Technology to Impact Yield - Dr. Ignacio Ciampitti, KSU
- Creating More Value with the Same Resource - Mike Kasten, Quality Beef
- Precision Ag ROI - Cory Gilbert, On Target Ag Solutions
- Being a Doer Not a Poser: How to effectively engage in a rural community - Ashley Hutchinson, Cloud Corp
- Dicamba Applicator Training - Dr. Dallas Peterson, KSU
- Benchmarking Farm Financials During Challenging Times - Robin Reed, Kansas State University
- Engage: The Key to Personal Suceess - Moderated by Mike Matson, KFB
- Dan Kerschen, Kansas Senate
- Dana Pieper, Rooks County Rancher
- Jenny Burgess, Rice County Farmer
- Keeping it Local - How to Make a Grassroots Impact through Advocacy - Dr. Jill Casten, KFB
- Options for Stock Water Development - Herschel George, K-State Research and Extension
- How Many is Too Many? Running Multiple Prescriptions on a Single Area - Cory Gilbert, On Target Ag Solutions
- Emergency Preparedness and Ways to Help in Disaster Relief - David Hogg, Kansas Department of Agriculure
- Crop Insurance Update & Overview - Amy Roeder & Steve Vollrath, Agra View
- Women in Agriculture Roundtables
- Keeping Kids Safe on the Farm - Beth Holle, Rawlins County Farmer & Serita Blankenship, KFB
- Making Your Garden Work All Year - Janet Phillips, Labette County Farmer
- Women in the Ag Workplace & Boardroom - Jill Zimmerman, KARL
- Farmers' Markets 101 - Jessica Flory, Douglas County Farmer
- Positive Risk Taking - Katie Sawyer, Office of U.S. Representative Roger Marshall
- Fit & Filling Meals for Farm Families - Anna Binder, Rethink Nutrition
Congratulations to the 2018 YF&R and Collegiate competition winners!
- Collegiate Ag Quiz Bowl - Kansas State University
- Collegiate Discussion Meet - Jacob Brubaker, Fort Hays State University
- Excellence in Agriculture Award - Matt & Mindy Young, Atchison County
- YF&R Discussion Meet - Jackie Mundt, Pratt County
- YF&R of the Year Award - Mike & Sara Rosebrook, Lincoln County
Thank You to the 2018 Sponsors!
District Dinner Sponsors:
- District 6 - Carrico Implement, Central Valley Ag, Channel Seed, Jewel Implement, River Hills Seed, Simpson Farm Enterprises, 2 J Cattle Co
- District 7 - BTI and Prairie Land Partners
- District 8 - American Implement (Dodge City)
- District 9 - American Implement
- District 10 - Crop Production Services