Is There DNA in my food? Absolutely! All living things have DNA-Deoxyribonucleic acid- the chemical instruction on how to make that living thing. This incredible chemical molecule can be easily seen with the naked eye when collected from thousands of cells. This simple method quickly gives some visible proof that plants have DNA.
Create your own Strawberry DNA sample today! Here’s what you’ll need:
Kansas teaching standards for Agriculture Gets into Your DNA
Standards for Grades 5-7
Standard 1: Science as Inquiry
- Benchmark 1: The student will demonstrate abilities necessary to do the processes of scientific inquiry.
- Indicator 2: The student designs and conducts scientific investigations safely using appropriate tools, mathematics, technology, and techniques to gather, analyze, and interpret data.
Standard 3: Life Science
- Benchmark 1: The student will model structures of organisms and relate functions to the structures.
- Indicator 1: The student will understand the cell theory, that all organisms are composed of one or more cells, cells are the basic unit of life, and that cells come from other cells.
- Indicator 2: The student relates the structure of cells, organs, tissues, organ systems, and whole organisms to their functions.
Questions? Contact the Agriculture Education Division at 785/587-6150.