Helpful publications on adverse possession in Kansas
Helpful publications on annexation issues in Kansas
Helpful publications on conservation easements
A Landowner’s Guide to Conservation Easements in Kansas (PDF)
, by Wendee D. Grady, Director of The Kansas Farm Bureau Legal Foundation (March 2019).
Conservation Easement Audit Techniques Guide (PDF)
, produced by the Internal Revenue Service (January 2018).
Permanent Conservation Easement Donation Opportunities and Perils
, by Roger McEowen, on the Agricultural Law and Taxation Blog (September 2016).
The Tax Rules Surrounding the Donation of a Permanent Conservation Easement (PDF)
, from Washburn Agricultural Law & Tax Report, by Roger A. McEowen at Washburn University School of Law (November 2016).
- What Landowners Should Know When Considering Conservation Easements, Insights from Colorado Landowners (PDF), by Hoag, Marshall, and Seidl with the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Colorado State University, and by Mucklow with Routt County, Colorado, County Extension.
- Kansas has adopted the Uniform Conservation Easement Act at K.S.A. 58-3810, et seq. These statutes can be viewed at the Kansas Revisor of Statutes
Helpful publications on eminent domain
Helpful publications on Kansas fence law
Helpful publications on Kansas ag leases
- K.S.A. 58-2506. Termination of farm or pastureland tenancy; notice.
- K.S.A. 58-2506a. Termination of farm tenancies; landlord’s liability for certain substances and services provided by tenant.
Helpful publications on cell tower leases
Helpful publications on oil and gas leases
Lead-Based Paint (Residential Disclosures)
Helpful publications on Lead-Based Paint
Helpful publications on pipeline easements
- The recreational trails act, KSA 58-3211
et seq., available from the Kansas Revisor of Statutes website.
- K.S.A. 66-525, the Kansas statute governing railroad right-of-way abandonment, available on the Kansas Revisor of Statutes website.
Helpful publications on Rails-to-Trails
A Primer on Rails-to-Trails Conversions in the Eastern U.S.
, by Garrett M. Gee, Staff Attorney, William & Mary Environmental Law and Policy Review (2016).
An Adjoining Landowner’s Guide to Rails-to-Trails in Kansas
, by Wendee D. Grady, Director of the Kansas Farm Bureau Legal Foundation.
- For a good legal review of the history of Rails-to-Trails, including ownership issues, and a discussion of how the nature of the original grant to the railroad (a fee simple v. an easement) can change the result upon abandonment, read
Rails-to-Trails Conversions: A Legal Review
, by Andrea C. Ferster, with the Rails-to-Trails Conservancy.
Rails-to-Trails, a Tale of Uncompensated Kansas Land Takings [Biery v. United States, 753 F.3d 1279 (Fed. Cir. 2014)] (PDF)
, by Corey L. Moomaw, in the Washburn Law Journal, Vol. 55 (2015-2016).
Helpful websites on Rails-to-Trails issues
- To view maps of abandoned and railbanked rail lines, visit the Surface Transportation Board’s
Railroad Map Depot.
- The federal agency with authority to regulate railroads is the Surface Transportation Board. They have information about abandonment and railbanking in the public information section of their
Click Here to go to Water Law, located in the "Environment" section