We are not currently taking donations or organizing programs. If you have questions, please contact Nancy Brown at 785-587-6111.

Wildfires have burned more than 700,000 acres in 21 counties. In an effort to help, Kansas Farm Bureau is offering to connect those who need help with those who can provide it. This page will be updated with more information and resources as they become available.

Click on a link below or scroll down to find the following sections:

CRP Exchange

USDA has authorized emergency grazing on CRP (Conservation Reserve Program) lands for producers who suffered grazing land damage from wildfires in Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas. The authorization allows livestock grazing of CRP across the entire state for up to 90 days, including the primary nesting season, to provide relief to ranchers impacted by the recent wildfires. CRP-CP25 acres cannot be grazed.

If you would like to offer CRP acres for grazing, please click on this link to provide your information. If you are looking for acres, indicate which offer you would like to accept.

Click Here to offer CRP acres for grazing or if you are looking for acres to graze

Offering or requesting assistance

Kansas Farm Bureau is once again helping to connect those in need with those offering assistance. 

For those in need: Click the button below and fill out the form detailing your need and KFB staff will attempt to pair you with someone offering the assistance you need.

Click here to request assistance

For those offering assistance: Click this button and you will be added to the list of people offering assistance to those affected by the fires. Thank you in advance for your generous offer of time and talents.

Click here to offer assistance to those in need

Additional Resources

Sales tax refund on fencing materials - Kansas Department of Revenue webpage includes details on the sales tax refund for fencing material used to reconstruct agricultural fences destroyed by the 2016 and 2017 wildfires through an exemption and refund program.

KDA Website Resources -  Kansas Wildfire Recovery Resources includes details regarding federal disaster assistance programs. 

Important things for producers to remember:

  1. DOCUMENT EVERYTHING – documentation of your death loss now is the key to getting help once the crisis is over.  This can include photos, videos, sale receipts, calving records, veterinarian records, etc. – anything that documents how many animals you had and how many were lost.
  2. Visit with your local USDA service center for complete details for program eligibility and to make sure you are getting access to any and all applicable programs.

Emergency use of CRP acreage - Emergency use of CRP acreage is authorized for Clark, Comanche, Ellis, Ellsworth, Ford, Hodgeman, Kiowa, Lane, Lincoln, Meade, Ness, Rooks, Russell and Seward counties. Livestock may be temporarily moved to land enrolled in CRP for no more than 30 days, as approved by the county office, on a case-by-case basis. This only applies to producers who lost pasture or fences due to wildfires. It expires April 1, 2017. This does not allow for emergency grazing of CRP acres.

Insured Wheat Crop – The short-rate deadline for winter wheat acres has been moved from March 15 to March 24. If you think the fire destroyed the crop, or moving cows to wheat would require your wheat crop to go from grain production to cattle feed, you MUST contact your crop insurance agent by the March 24 deadline.  

Animal Disposal – The Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) has approved disposal sites and can assist farmers and ranchers who have lost livestock.  The KDHE encourages those who have lost livestock in the wildfires to contact their county emergency management or contact Ken Powell, Compliance and Enforcement, Waste Reduction and Assistance Section Chief for the Bureau of Waste Management, at (785) 296-1121 or Ken.Powell@ks.gov .  

K-State Research and Ext - "Management Following Wildfire"   
A newly revised version of Management Following Wildfire, K-State Research and Extension publication L514, has just been published and is now available online. The author is Walt Fick, Range Management Specialist.

Colbert Hills Kansas Fire Relief Day - April 20
Colbert Hills will donate 15% of food and beverage revenue and 10% of golf revenue to help the farmers and ranchers affected by the wildfires. Download this flyer for more information.

YF&R Fire Relief Fund

You can help young and beginning farmers and ranchers impacted by fires in Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma and Colorado rebuild. Your donation will be matched dollar for dollar thanks to a generous donation of $50,000 from Monsanto.

We are no longer collecting donations for the YF&R Fire Relief effort. Thank you to everyone who donated 

To apply for assistance from the YF&R Fire Relief fund:


  • Hay & Fencing Delivery Coordination
    • Neal and Jeff Kay at Ashland Feed and Seed are coordinating.
    • All deliveries go to 1975 County Road U in Ashland (on the south end of Main Street on the south end of town). 
    • Call before heading out: 620-635-5001 or 620-635-0072.
  • Clark County Volunteer Labor Coordination
    • Contact Clark County Farm Bureau coordinator Jodeen Leaming-Udovich at 620-338-1347.
  • Animal Care Needs
    • 620-635-2641
    • The Ashland Veterinary Center is coordinating donations of livestock needs such as tanks and portable corrals.
  • Nancy Brown, Kansas Farm Bureau
    • 785-587-6111