Farmers and ranchers face uncertain times, which can lead to depression, stress, addictions and other mental/behavioral health concerns. Get the help you need.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
- Crisis Text Line: Text "CONNECT" to 741741
Mental Health Disorders:
Drugwatch is a free web health resource reviewed by the Health on the Net Foundation. A guide they've published covers disorders, warning signs and how to get treatment.
Ag Behavioral Health:
The website of Michael Rosmann, rural psychologist, contains resources related to behavioral health for farmers and ranchers.
Mental/Behavioral Health Videos
Farm Stress: You Are Not Alone. Unpredictable weather, heavy workloads and financial worries can sometimes take their toll on farm families and lead to mental and emotional distress, substance abuse, anxiety, depression and even suicide. Video from Douglas County Extension.
The Surprising Reality Of Depression And Suicide Among Farmers. Discussion of depression and suicide in farming community with special focus on the suicide of a Minnesota farmer and its affects on others.
Green Blood Red Tears is a documentary about a Kentucky farmer who committed suicide. Ag-Culture Media, Middletown, Kentucky.
Fierce Goodbye: Living in the Shadow of Suicide. Mennonite Media.
Shadow Voices: Finding Hope in Mental Illness. Mennonite Media.
Mental/Behavioral Health Webinars
"Farm Stress and Mental Health" Kansas Farm Bureau
"Mental Health First Aid" National AgrAbility Project
"Stress Management on the Farm" MidAtlantic Women in Agriculture.
"Rural Behavioral Health Learning Collaborative - Understanding the Opioid Crisis & Community Strategies" The TA Network and SAMHSA.
- The Rural Resilience Training Program
- Developed by Michigan State University Extension and designed for individuals who interact with farmers and ranchers to help recognize signs of stress and offer resources.
- State/County Farm Bureau staff and members can register for the online training here. The training is free for all Farm Bureau staff and members.