Bringing Biotechnology to Life
We’ve been using plants and animals for our benefit since human life began. Biotechnology uses what is known about science and genetics to improve food and how it is produced. Source: Bringing Biotechnology to Life Teacher’s Guide
Genetically modified organism (GMO) is a term meaning that a change has been made to the DNA of an organism. Source: gmoanswers.com
As of 2013, GMOs are grown, imported and/or used in 70 countries. Although there have been more than 2,000 studies documenting that biotechnology does not pose an unusual threat to human health and genetically modified foods are as safe or safer than conventional or organic foods, questions remain in the minds of many consumers. Source: gmoanswers.com
Design your own Bringing Biotechnology to Life program today!
- Bringing Biotechnology to Life DVD and Teacher's Guide
- Created by the American Farm Bureau Foundation for Agriculture, you may email email@example.com to request the DVD and teacher's guide, at no charge, for two weeks
- This 20-minute DVD for students in grades 7-12 explores biotechnology through the eyes of Julian as he creates a PowerPoint presentation for science class. When a frustrated Julian contacts his on-line friend Cora for help she enlists her Uncle Vince, a farmer familiar with biotechnology. During an instant on-line message Uncle Vince refers Julian to scientists with expertise in food science, genomics, plant genetics, and crop molecular biology. Using their leads, Julian assembles video clips about biotechnology for his report. The fast-paced DVD explores an array of biotechnologies being developed for use in medicine, fuel production, nutrition, and feeding a hungry planet and provides a comprehensive overview to introduce the topic of biotechnology.
- Lessons in the accompanying teacher's guide include:
- It's Nothing New
- Life's Template - DNA
- The GMO Debate: Facts and Opinions
- Get to Know GMOs PowerPoint Presentation (Requires PowerPoint software)
- Look Closer at Biotechnology activity book (provided by the Council for Biotechnology Information)
- Best Food Facts
- Biology Fortified
- More than 100 experts have contributed to this site.
- Greg Peterson – Advocate for Truth Blog: GMOS
- Jon Entine for Forbes - The Debate About GMO Safety Is Over
- The Science Behind Food by Casey Rand
- ISBN: 978-1-4109-4486-3
- This book discusses the MyPlate good eating plan plus digestion and the senses used in food. The role of farmers in producing food products is included in the chapters on grains and dairy. Definitions of technical words used are at the bottom of the page an in the glossary at the back of the book. (Part of the series "The Science Behind")
- High-Tech Harvest by Elizabeth Marshall
- ISBN: 0-531-11434-1
- While genetic engineering can be a very complex issue, this book makes the topic, techniques, and issues very understandable. The author has produced a text that examines the issue of genetically engineered foods in a very objective manner. She does not shirk from exploring those opposed to this technology nor does she criticize their opposition. As such, this is a great addition to a library or classroom as a resource for this topic. The book provides references for each chapter, resources for further exploration and a glossary.
Questions? Contact the Agriculture Education Division at 785/587-6150.