Kansas Farm Bureau is proud to partner with Kansas FFA on the Kansas FFA Discussion Meet for competition in the 2017-2018 school year.
The FFA Discussion Meet is an event designed to stimulate logical thinking, develop skills in communication and problem solving and engage FFA members in solutions for important topics of today's agriculture industry. The competition will bring 4-6 FFA members to the table at a time to discuss an assigned topic for 15 minutes. Participants are scored and ranked on their ability to introduce the topic, analyze the problem, identify solutions, think critically, engage others effectively and summarize the discussion accurately. Topics will change each year, but will focus on issues in crops, livestock, natural resources, ag education and FFA.
Goals of the Event:
- Develop leadership skills, such as critical thinking, problem solving, active listening and collaboration, in future leaders of the agriculture industry.
- Recognize FFA members for researching important issues in agriculture and effectively discussing them with their peers.
- Expose FFA members to aspects of Kansas Farm Bureau they might not be aware of, especially the collegiate and YF&R programs, which they could become part of after high school.
- Encourage greater relationships between FFA chapters and county Farm Bureau associations.
Rules & Resources:
- FFA Discussion Meet Leadership Development Event Rules
- FFA Discussion Meet Rating Sheet
- 2017-2018 Topics
- 2017-2018 Topic Resources
- Changes for 2017-2018
- 2016-2017 State FFA Discussion Meet Final Video
- Principles of Cooperative Discussion Lesson Plan
- Tips for Preparing for Competition
- 2016 K-ACTE Workshop Presentation
2017-2018 Competition Dates:
- East Central: March 5, Paola
- North Central: April 4, Beloit
- Northeast: March 6, Wamego
- Northwest: March 14, Colby
- South Central: January 10, Buhler
- Southeast: March 3, Neodesha
- Southwest: December 9, Garden City
- Round Robin Competition: April 30, Manhattan
- Final Four Announcement: May 1, Manhattan
- Final Four Competition and Awards: May 31, Manhattan
For event questions, requests for additional resources or information about how to volunteer at a district or state competition contact firstname.lastname@example.org.