Helpful publications on board governance
- Board Basics: What a Nonprofit Board Should Know About Meeting in Executive Session (PDF) , by Rick Marks and Regina Hopkins (2017).
Helpful publications on business structures
- Agricultural Business Organizations: Basic Characteristics and Choices (PDF) , by Forrest A. Buhler, with Kansas Agricultural Mediation Service.
- Chart of Entity Comparison (PDF) , by National Association of Tax Professionals (2010).
- Farmer’s Guide to Choosing a Business Entity, by Rachel Armstrong (PDF) , Erin Hannum, Laura Fisher, and Lisa Schlessinger, with Farm Commons (December 2015).
- Partnerships and Tax Law – Details Matter , by Roger A. McEowen, on the Agricultural Law and Taxation Blog.
- What’s the Best Entity Structure For the Farm or Ranch Business? by Roger A. McEowen, on the Agricultural Law and Taxation Blog (May 2019).
- When Can a Corporate Shareholder Be Held Liable For Corporate Debts and Liabilities? , by Roger A. McEowen, on the Agricultural Law and Taxation Blog.
Kansas Farm Bureau and the county Farm Bureau associations in Kansas are organized under the Cooperative Marketing Act laws of the State of Kansas.
Helpful publications on cooperatives
- What Is a Cooperative Director’s Liability to Member-Shareholders and Others? , by Roger A. McEowen, on the Agricultural Law and Taxation Blog.
- The Cooperative Marketing Act, KSA 17-1601 et seq.
Helpful publications on family farms
- Getting Started in Farming: On the Home Farm (pdf), from Iowa State University’s Ag Decision Maker, revised by Ann Johanns and Kelvin Leibold.
- Tackling the Tough Issues of Family Business, by Farming Magazine.
Other helpful websites on family farms
- Kansas Family Business Forum by Wichita State University: The Kansas Family Business Forum is designed to provide unique learning experiences to those involved with family businesses. Events bring owners, families, and managers together to address issues of ownership and management succession, strategic planning, estate planning, family dynamics, and family governance.