Livestock and Other Animals
- An unofficial copy of Kansas animal cruelty laws (PDF) compiled by the National Agricultural Law Center.
- An unofficial copy of the Beef Promotion and Research Act of 1985 (pdf) , 7 U.S.C. 2901-2911, available from the USDA.
Helpful publications on beef checkoff issues
- Court Rules in Favor of Checkoff, Dismisses R-Calf Suit , from Drovers News Source (March 2020). The full court ruling can be accessed by clicking here(pdf).
- Legal Checkup on Checkoffs: Current Events , a webinar recording and a copy of the presentation slides are available, discussing the legal challenges facing some checkoffs, by Harrison Pittman, Director of the National Agricultural Law Center (February 2019).
Other helpful websites on beef checkoff
- AMS/USDA Beef Research and Promotion Program
- The Federation of State Beef Councils
- Cattlemen’s Beef Promotion and Research Board
- Kansas Beef Council
Helpful publications on environmental issues associated with livestock production
- Air Emission Reporting Requirement for Livestock Operations , by Roger A. McEowen on the Agricultural Law and Taxation Blog.
- CERCLA and EPCRA Reporting Requirements for Air Releases of Hazardous Substances from Animal Waste at Farms (PDF) , a guidance document provided by the EPA.
Other helpful websites on environmental issues associated with livestock production
- For more information on CERCLA and EPCRA reporting requirements for air releases of hazardous substances from animal waste at farms, visit the EPA’s website here.
- For information about permitting and waste management, visit the Kansas Department of Health and Environment’s website here.
Click Here to go to Fence Law, located in the "Real Property" section
- Animal Health Statutes and Regulations (from the Kansas Department of Agriculture’s website).
- Pet Animal Act (from the Kansas Department of Agriculture’s website).
Other helpful websites on livestock and other animals
- Division of Animal Health, Kansas Department of Agriculture
- Livestock Waste Management Section, Kansas Department of Health and Environment
Identification and Traceability
Helpful publications on livestock identification and traceability:
- Cattle Traceability: Potential Legal Implications (PDF), by Elizabeth Rumley with the National Agricultural Law Center.
Packers and Stockyards
Helpful publications on Packers and Stockyards issues:
- DOJ to Investigate Meatpackers – What’s It All About? , by Roger A. McEowen on the Agricultural Law and Taxation Blog (May 2020).
- Packers and Stockyards Act – Basic Provisions , by Roger A. McEowen on the Agricultural Law and Taxation Blog.
- Packers and Stockyards Act Amended – Additional Protection for Unpaid Cash Sellers of Livestock , by Roger A. McEowen on the Agricultural Law and Taxation Blog (February 2021).
- Packers and Stockyards Act Provisions For Unpaid Cash Sellers of Livestock , by Roger A. McEowen on the Agricultural Law and Taxation Blog (March 2019).
- For unofficial copies of the federal laws and regulations governing packers and stockyards, visit this page from the United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Marketing Service.
Other helpful websites on Packers and Stockyards:
- GIPSA website: The Grain Inspection, Packers, and Stockyards Administration (GIPSA) was moved from the Farm Service Agency, to the Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS), pursuant to agency restructuring announced by Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue on September 7, 2017. The AMS GIPSA website has some very helpful information about Packers and Stockyards.
- Regulated Entities: For information on what entities are regulated under the Packers and Stockyards Act, and what requirements are placed on them, go to this page on the USDA Agricultural Marketing Service website.
- K.S.A. 16-1501 et seq., Swine Contracts and Marketing Pools
- K.S.A. 16-1701, Poultry production contacts; requirements, violations, remedies
Helpful publications on production contracts
- Broiler Production: Considerations for Potential Ggrid-xers (AGEC-202) (PDF) , by Doye D., B. Freking, J. Payne, S. Ferrell, from the Oklahoma Cooperative Extension Service.
- Broiler Production Management for Potential and Existing Ggrid-xers (PDF) , by Jennifer L. Rhodes, and Dr. Jonathan Moyle, from the University of Maryland.
- Farmer’s Legal Guide to Production Contracts (PDF) , by Neil D. Hamilton for The National Agricultural Law Center.
- Farmers’ Use of Marketing and Production Contracts (PDF) , by Economic Research Service/United States Department of Agriculture
Other helpful websites for information on poultry production
- You can learn more information about poultry production from the University of Maryland Extension Poultry website.
Veterinary Feed Directive (VFD) Rule
Helpful publications on the Veterinary Feed Directive (VFD) Rule
- New Regulations Will Impact Animal Antibiotic Use and the Role of Veterinarians (PDF) , from Washburn Agricultural Law & Tax Report, by Roger A. McEowen at Washburn University School of Law.