Helpful publications on food safety
- Kitchen Companion – Your Safe Food Handbook (pdf) , prepared by the United States Department of Agriculture (Feb 2008).
- USDA Aligns Harmonized GAP Program with FDA Food Safety Rule (PDF) , from Agricultural Marketing Service, with Answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
- The Kansas Food Code (PDF) (adopted by reference into state law through K.A.R. 4-28-7)
Other helpful websites for food safety information
- Food Safety Fact Sheets: The USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) has prepared several helpful food safety fact sheets on topics ranging from At-Risk Populations and Meat Preparation, to Egg Products Preparation and Emergency Preparedness. These fact sheets can be viewed on the USDA FSIS website here.
- Food Safety Toolkit: You can also check out the Food Safety Toolkit website created by Kansas State University Research and Extension.
- FSMA: To learn more about the Food Safety and Modernization Act, visit the webpage on the FDA’s website.
Helpful publications on farmers markets
- Food Safety for Kansas Farmers Market Vendors: Regulations and Best Practices (PDF) , by Londa Nwadike, from K-State Research and Extension and the Kansas Department of Agriculture.
Other helpful websites for information about farmers markets
- Local Foods Resources for Kansans: To learn more about local foods, including gardening, farmers markets, and food safety issues, this K-State Research and Extension website is a great place for information.
- To learn more about the appropriate business structures for farmers markets, and how to develop and implement a SNAP program at your farmers market, among other things, visit the Farmer’s Market Legal Toolkit, created by the Center for Agriculture & Food Systems.
Meat and Poultry
Helpful publications on meat and poultry inspection
- FSIS Guideline for Determining Whether a Livestock Slaughter or Processing Firm is Exempt from the Inspection Requirements of the Federal Meat Inspection Act (pdf) , from USDA FSIS (May 2018).
Other helpful websites for meat and poultry inspection
- Meat and Poultry Businesses: For some answers to commonly asked questions about Meat and Poultry Businesses, visit this page on the KDA website.
- Meat and Poultry Inspection in Kansas: To learn more about meat and poultry inspection in Kansas, visit the Kansas Department of Agriculture Meat and Poultry Division’s website.
- Processing Facility Registration: For a helpful guide about registration of meat and poultry processing facilities in Kansas, visit this webpage from the Kansas Department of Agriculture’s Division of Meat and Poultry Inspection.