Helpful publications on adverse possession in Kansas
Helpful publications on annexation issues in Kansas
Helpful publications on conservation easements
A Landowner’s Guide to Conservation Easements in Kansas (PDF)
, by Wendee D. Grady, Director of The Kansas Farm Bureau Legal Foundation (March 2019).
Conservation Easement Audit Techniques Guide (PDF)
, produced by the Internal Revenue Service (January 2018).
Permanent Conservation Easement Donation Opportunities and Perils
, by Roger McEowen, on the Agricultural Law and Taxation Blog (September 2016).
Permanent Conservation Easement Donation Transactions Find Their Way to the IRS “Dirty Dozen” List
, by Roger A. McEowen, on the American Law and Taxation Blog (April 2019).
The Tax Rules Surrounding the Donation of a Permanent Conservation Easement (PDF)
, from Washburn Agricultural Law & Tax Report, by Roger A. McEowen at Washburn University School of Law (November 2016).
- What Landowners Should Know When Considering Conservation Easements, Insights from Colorado Landowners (PDF), by Hoag, Marshall, and Seidl with the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Colorado State University, and by Mucklow with Routt County, Colorado, County Extension.
- Kansas has adopted the Uniform Conservation Easement Act at K.S.A. 58-3810, et seq. These statutes can be viewed at the Kansas Revisor of Statutes
Helpful publications on eminent domain
Helpful publications on Kansas fence law
Landowner Liability Issues
Helpful publications on landowner liability
Helpful publications on Kansas ag leases
- Forms:For a variety of agricultural lease forms, visit the Kansas State University Department of Agricultural Economics
- Forms: For a variety of agricultural lease forms, visit the North Central Farm Management Extension Committee’s
Ag Lease 101 website.
Kansas Agricultural Lease Law (PDF)
, from Washburn Agricultural Law & Tax Report, by Roger A. McEowen at Washburn University School of Law.
Is it a Farm Lease or Not? – And Why it Might Matter
, by Roger A. McEowen, on the Agricultural Law and Taxation Blog (Nov 2020).
Kansas Agricultural Lease Law (PDF)
, from K-State Research and Extension, by Jerrod A. Westfahl.
Leasing the Land and the Water (PDF)
, by Wendee D. Grady, Kansas Farm Bureau Legal Foundation.
- KSA 58-220. Agister’s Lien; recording with register of deeds; sale for charges and expenses
- K.S.A. 58-2506. Termination of farm or pastureland tenancy; notice.
- K.S.A. 58-2506a. Termination of farm tenancies; landlord’s liability for certain substances and services provided by tenant.
Helpful publications on cell tower leases
Helpful publications on oil and gas leases
Other helpful websites for land leasing information
- The Center for Agriculture & Food Systems at Vermont Law School has developed a
Farm Lease Builder (Online Form), allowing farmers to build a draft of their own lease.
- The Kansas State University Department of Agricultural Economics has gathered helpful land and leasing resources on its
- The North Central Farm Management Extension Committee has developed the
Ag Lease 101 website to provide information on agricultural leasing.
Lead-Based Paint (Residential Disclosures)
Helpful publications on Lead-Based Paint
Helpful publications on pipeline easements
- The recreational trails act, KSA 58-3211
et seq., available from the Kansas Revisor of Statutes website.
- K.S.A. 66-525, the Kansas statute governing railroad right-of-way abandonment, available on the Kansas Revisor of Statutes website.
Helpful publications and resources on Rails-to-Trails
A Primer on Rails-to-Trails Conversions in the Eastern U.S.
, by Garrett M. Gee, Staff Attorney, William & Mary Environmental Law and Policy Review (2016).
An Adjoining Landowner’s Guide to Rails-to-Trails in Kansas
, by Wendee D. Grady, Director of the Kansas Farm Bureau Legal Foundation.
- For a good legal review of the history of Rails-to-Trails, including ownership issues, and a discussion of how the nature of the original grant to the railroad (a fee simple v. an easement) can change the result upon abandonment, read
Rails-to-Trails Conversions: A Legal Review
, by Andrea C. Ferster, with the Rails-to-Trails Conservancy.
Legal Issues Associated With Abandoned Railways
, by Roger A. McEowen, on the Agricultural Law and Taxation Blog (May 2019).
The National Trails System Act: A Fifth Amendment Taking of Private Property
(pre-recorded video webinar, requires member login), by Meghan Largent (Dec. 2019). This 1-hour webinar walks through the federal program that authorizes the conversion of abandoned railroad rights-of-way into public recreational trails. It was recorded in conjunction with the Legal Foundation’s Ag Law Briefs webinar series, and requires KFB member login to view.
Rails-to-Trails, a Tale of Uncompensated Kansas Land Takings [Biery v. United States, 753 F.3d 1279 (Fed. Cir. 2014)] (PDF)
, by Corey L. Moomaw, in the Washburn Law Journal, Vol. 55 (2015-2016).
Helpful websites on Rails-to-Trails issues
- To view maps of abandoned and railbanked rail lines, visit the Surface Transportation Board’s
Railroad Map Depot.
- The federal agency with authority to regulate railroads is the Surface Transportation Board. They have information about abandonment and railbanking in the public information section of their
Renewable Energy and Transmission Contracts
Click here to learn more about renewable energy and transmission contracts, located in the "Renewable Energy" section.
Click Here to go to Water Law, located in the "Environment" section
Zoning and Land Use
Helpful publications on zoning and land use
- Ag Zoning Potpourri, by Roger A. McEowen on the Agricultural Law and Taxation Blog (Feb. 2021).
Agricultural Land Use and Zoning
(pre-recorded video webinar, requires member login), by Jesse J. Richardson, Jr. is a Professor of Law and the Lead Land Use Attorney at the Land Use and Sustainable Development Law Clinic at the West Virginia University College of Law, and the Legal Advisor for Water Systems Council (July 2020).
Land Use Controls and Zoning
, by Terence E. Leibold and Matthew S. Gough, for the Kansas Bar Association’s Kansas Real Estate Practice & Procedure (p. 1-1, 1998).
What Can They Do? Limitations on the Power of Local Zoning Authorities
, by Patrick B. Hughes, for The Journal of the Kansas Bar Association (p. 28, January 2007).
Zoning Limitations and Opportunities for Farm Enterprise Diversification: Searching for New Meaning in Old Definitions
, by Robert Andrew Branan, for the National Agricultural Law Center (May 2004).
- KSA 12-758, the Kansas statute setting forth the general planning process for counties and cities, available on the Kansas Revisor of Statutes website.
- KSA 19-2908, the Kansas statute setting forth the zoning exemption for agricultural lands in townships, available on the Kansas Revisor of Statutes website.
- KSA 19-2921, the Kansas statute setting forth the county zoning exemption for agriculture, available on the Kansas Revisor of Statutes website.
- KSA 19-2960, the Kansas statute setting forth the zoning exemption for agricultural lands in urban counties, available on the Kansas Revisor of Statutes website.
Other helpful websites on zoning and land use
- More zoning and land use resources can be found under the