Roads and Bridges
Helpful publications on road and bridge issues
- Kansas Local Road Management Handbook – A guide for Kansas county road and bridge officials (pdf) , by the Kansas Local Technical Assistance Program (2015).
Helpful websites on road and bridge issues
- Forward Kansas, a website by the Kansas Department of Transportation describing the new transportation program proposed to take the place of Transportation Works.
- Transportation Works for Kansas, a website developed by the Kansas Department of Transportation. Ending in 2020, T-WORKS is a 10-year, $8 billion transportation program designed to created jobs, preserve highway infrastructure, and provide multimodal economic development opportunities across the state.
Helpful publications and issue-specific resources on transportation issues in agriculture
- Agricultural Commodity – the “Agricultural commodity” exception in 49 CFR 395.1(k)(1) to the Hours of Service regulations , by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
- Agricultural Exemption Diagrams , prepared by the FMCSA to illustrate the guidance provided in the Federal Register Notice “Hours of Service of Drivers of Commercial Motor Vehicles; Regulatory Guidance Concerning the Transportation of Agricultural Commodities,” 83 Fed. Reg. 26374 (June 7, 2018).
- Agricultural Exceptions and Exemptions to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Hours of Service (HOS) and Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Rules , by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
- Can I Inspect a Farm Vehicle? MAP-21 / Covered Farm Vehicle (CFV) Agricultural Exemptions from FMCSRs (July 2021). This resource is utilized in training Kansas Highway Patrol troopers.
- Designation as a Kansas Covered Farm Vehicle (PDF) , Form TR-600 for the Kansas Department of Revenue.
- Intrastate Farming Operations (PDF) , by the Kansas Highway Patrol
- Intra/Interstate Guidelines for Kansas Farm Vehicle Driver Transporting Grain, Cattle, & Hay (PDF), prepared by the Kansas Corporation Commission.
Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century (MAP-21) Agricultural Exemptions, Updated Questions and Answers (PDF)
, prepared by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration within the U.S. Department of Transportation.
ELD/HOS (Electronic Logging Device and Hours of Service):
- Electronic Logging Device (ELD) Rule (PDF), a brochure prepared by the U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
- Electronic Logging Devices (Hours of Service (HOS) and Agricultural Exemptions) (PDF), prepared by the U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
- Electronic Logs For Truckers and Implications for Agriculture , by Roger A. McEowen on the Agricultural Law and Taxation Blog.
ELDT (Entry-Level Driver Training):
- Entry-Level Driver Training, prepared by the American Trucking Association (Dec 2021).
- ELDT Entry-Level Driver Training, Entry-Level Driver Training Requirements for CDL Applicants, prepared by the U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
- Entry-Level Driver Training Exceptions, prepared by American Trucking Association and Agricultural and Food Transporters Conference.
- Hazardous Materials:
- International Fuel Tax Agreement Audit Manual (PDF) , prepared by the International Fuel Tax Association (Jan. 2017).
- Kansas Commercial Driver License Manual (PDF), prepared by the Kansas Department of Revenue (August 2021). (Look to page 22-23 to help determine what type of CDL license is required.)
Other Miscellaneous Information:
- Weight Enforcement in Kansas (PDF) , What you Need to Know About Kansas Highway Patrol Weight Enforcement Policies, prepared by the Kansas Highway Patrol.
- 49 C.F.R. 395.2 Definitions (including the definition of an agricultural commodity).
- K.S.A. § 8-143. Annual registration or license fees, motor vehicles, trailers, semitrailers, motorized bicycles and travel trailers; gross weight defined; local trucks and truck tractors, rules and regulations, refunds, exemptions; penalties; temporary registration; registration after nonoperation or nonuse; travel trailers; multiyear registration of trailers.
- K.S.A. § 8-143j. Annual registration for trucks or truck tractors engaged in farm custom harvesting operations.
- K.S.A. 8-1,165 One-time (permanent) trailer registration for $10.
- K.S.A. § 8-234b Classes of drivers’ licenses; applications for original licenses; examinations; rules and regulations.
Other helpful websites for transportation information
- Entry-Level Driver Training (ELDT): On this website, FMCSA has gathered helpful information about ELDT, including its application to certain drivers, and a list of training providers.
- FMCSA: Helpful information can also be found on the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) website.
- KCC: The Kansas Corporation Commission, Transportation Division, has helpful information for motor carriers on their website, including information particular to farm vehicles.
- KTRAN WIZARD: The KTRAN Wizard website is a helpful tool for new motor carriers to find out what is required for them to become compliant with motor carrier laws and regulations in Kansas and to receive information about applicable Federal laws.
- Truckers Against Trafficking: To learn more about and to obtain certification under the Truckers Against Trafficking program, required by Kansas law beginning on July 1, 2018, visit the TAT website. This training can be completed individually online either directly from the TAT website, at the Kansas Motor Carriers Association location in Topeka or at certain KDOR locations across the state.